I recently browsed through my late Yiayia Helen Metos’ recipe book, filled with her recipes plus clippings from recipes she found from the paper or given to her by friends.
I was told from my mom that her oatmeal cookies were everyone’s favorites, so I had to test for myself. Results: these cookies are amazing–so wonderfully soft and chewy that I just had to share her timeless cookies. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup shortening, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups oats, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Place shortening, sugars, egg, water, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat thoroughly.
- Sift flout, salt and soda; add to shortening mixture, and mix well.
- Blend in oats.
- Drop teaspoons of dough onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 12-14 minutes.