When you’re short on time and don’t want to sacrifice flavor or nutrition, quickly whip up sautéed mushrooms and onions. With the versatility of mushrooms, you can serve this dish in almost any way you can imagine–eaten plain, on toast, atop steaks, in pasta–sautéed mushrooms and onions is a winner every time.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound mushrooms
½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 sprig fresh thyme
½ cup vegetable oil or white wine
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1. Thoroughly wash and drain the mushrooms.
2. Heat a skillet to medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once warm, add mushrooms and thyme. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook in pan for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add onions and garlic and allow to cook together for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the vegetable oil, give the pan a stir, and cover the pan with a lid. Allow to cook on low to medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until mushrooms have cooked.
5. Towards the end of the cooking process, stir in chopped parsley. Serve warm.