Whenever I spent the night at my grandparents’ home, breakfast was always an egg sandwich with a cold glass of milk. My yiayia (grandmother) would toast two slices of bread, spread some ketchup on the toast, and then put a fried egg in the middle. As a final touch, she would cut the sandwich into four squares for my tiny hands to handle. It’s the best egg sandwich I’ve ever had.
Now that I’ve graduated to cooking for myself (though I still get some of yiayia’s egg sandwiches from time to time), I like to make strapatsada (also known as kagianas). Strapatsada is a dish you may have made in your kitchen and you just never knew it had a name. It’s merely scrambled eggs with diced tomatoes, olive oil, and any seasonings you prefer, like oregano and pepper. Simple yes, but my yiayia tells me this was one of my papou’s (grandfather) most loved dishes. Maybe he loved strapatsada because the ingredients were low cost, or maybe because in the hands of my yiayia, anything turns into a five-star meal.
Strapatsada tastes best with fresh tomatoes, though you can use canned tomatoes if need be. Serve it for breakfast or a light snack with some crusty bread on the side. Or, do a I do and make a sandwich out of it and make your own egg sandwich masterpiece, strapatsada style.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes (or 3 cups canned diced tomatoes)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Grate the tomatoes, discard the skins, and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and the garlic until they become wilted.
- Add the tomatoes, and season with chili flakes, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until the tomato juices have mostly evaporated.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and mix in with a wooden spoon to combine. Add more seasoning if desired.
- Cook until the eggs begin to set, careful not to overcook. Remove from heat.
- Top with feta, drizzle some olive oil, and serve immediately.